21 Feb · Sun 2010
职场晋升 真的男女平等吗
A study shows a large gap in perceptions among the sexes in who has more opportunities for advancement -- men or women.
本月早些时候,贝恩咨询公司(Bain & Co.)在全球范围内开展了一项调研,对象是1834位职场人士,男女各半。调研结果在刚刚结束的瑞士达沃斯世界经济论坛(World Economic Forum)上公布。这项结果显示:90%的男士及85%的女士认为,男性女性得到初级职位的机会是均等的,只要你有足够的能力;81%的男士认为,男性 女性升任中级管理职位的机会也是均等的,而女士中只有52%的人抱此想法;同样,66%的男士认为升任主管级别的机会也是男女均等,而认同这一点的女士的 比例只有30%。
Earlier this month, consulting firm Bain & Co. surveyed 1,834 business professionals world-wide on gender parity in the workplace. The findings, which was presented at the World Economic Forum in Davos, Switzerland, show that 90% and 85% of men and women, respectively, believe qualified applicants of either gender have the same shot at landing a junior-level position. Yet 81% of men said opportunities to move to middle management are gender neutral, compared with 52% of women. Similarly, 66% of men said promotions to the executive level are equally attainable by both sexes, versus 30% of women.
现实生活中,女性在领导岗位中所占比例是小于男性的。纽约研究机构Catalyst Inc.于去年12月份开展的一项调研显示,财富五百强公司中,首席执行官以及行政主管中女性所占的比例分别为3%和13.5%。
In reality, women represent a much smaller portion of leadership roles in business. A December study from New York research concern Catalyst Inc. shows 3% of chief executive officers and 13.5% of executive-officer positions within Fortune 500 companies are women.
纽约家庭与工作研究会(Families & Work Institute)会长爱伦•加林斯基(Ellen Galinsky)认为,男士们的观点比女士们要乐观,因为他们着眼的是长时期以来女性在职场所取得的进步。她说,男士们会说“女性现在的表现比过去强多 了,女士们则说,‘没错,不过,我们的人数比男的少多了,而且要取得同样的成就,我们的付出要比男性多得多。’”
Men's perceptions may be rosier than women's because they may be considering the long-term progress women have made in the workplace, says Ellen Galinsky, president of Families & Work Institute in New York. Men will 'say women have it a lot better than they did in the past,' she says. 'Women say, 'Yes, but there are a lot fewer of us and we had to give up a lot more to get there.''
波士顿西蒙斯管理学院(Simmons School of Management)研究女性及领导力的黛博拉•科尔伯(Deborah M. Kolb)教授认为,女性在职业发展上落后于男性,大众的成见也许也是有一定影响的。科尔伯教授表示,研究显示,老板及同事──男女皆然──都认为女性在 领导岗位上表现不如男性,尽管有证据显示并非如此。她说,“在职场上,女性常常会被迫走些弯路,比如去做人力资源管理。男性则会派到跟战略发展相关的工 作。”
Perceptions may play a role in women lagging behind men in advancing their careers, says Deborah M. Kolb, a professor specializing in women and leadership at Simmons School of Management in Boston. Ms. Kolb says studies have shown women are seen by bosses and colleagues -- men and women alike -- as being less capable of serving in leadership posts than men, despite evidence to the contrary. 'Women often get asked to take career detours . . . into areas like human resources,' she says. 'Men get asked to take on strategic-development activities.'
11 Feb · Thu 2010
美元符号的来历
It is only appropriate that an Irish immigrant to the United States be the one credited with originating the dollar sign. Oliver Pollock sailed the high seas at the age of twenty-three, and settled in Carlisle, Pennsylvania. This young entrepreneur rapidly established himself as a wealthy and influential West Indies trader.
Pollock moved his operation to Louisiana, where he amassed even more wealth as a trader, and as a plantation owner. His success enabled him to provide supplies to the Patriots' cause in the Revolutionary War, and to maintain close contact and a degree of influence with Congress. Pollock's success allowed him easily to purchase military supplies to support "the cause," as the Spanish Empire had an outpost in New Orleans, Louisiana. In his dealings with the Spaniards, Pollock used their currency, the peso.
In true Spanish tradition, Pollock used an abbreviation for pesos, yet his penmanship made the abbreviation appear to be the transposition of the letters "p" and "s."
Prior to 1775, the fledgling nations monetary system was in disarray, and needed to be revamped. By 1775, Congress decided to rectify the situation by backing all of its legal tender with the most commonly circulated coins that were, coincidentally, Spanish coins minted in the New World. Americans then began trading with "Spanish milled dollars," later termed "dollars," as Americans shed the "pounds" that were the vestiges of British rule.
Congressman Robert Morris, to whom Pollock addressed his billing records, perpetuated the use of the dollar sign, and was the first high government official to give his blessing to the "s" with the two lines through it.
The appearance of the dollar sign in print, in a 1797 book by Chauncey Lee, signified the acceptance of the dollar as a purely American symbol
M-O-T-H-E-R 6个字母读完母亲一生
“O” means only that she’s growing old,
“T” if for the tears she shed to save me,
“H” is for her heart of purest gold,
“E” is for her eyes, with love-light shinning,
“R” means right, and right she’ll always be.
Put them all together, they spell “Mother”,
A word that means the world to me.
M 代表她给予我百万样东西,
O 意味着她渐渐老去,
T 是她为育我成人而洒落的颗颗泪滴,
H 寓意她那金子般至纯至真的心灵,
E 是她那双闪耀着慈爱之光的眼睛,
R 使我坚信她永远正确无误的言行。
把这些字幕拼在一起就是“母亲”,
一个于我犹如整个世界一样的词语。
赏析:
美国抒情诗人霍华德·约翰逊(1887 -
1941)的这首小诗将“母亲”的形象惟妙惟肖地刻画在读者眼前。作者巧妙地将“mother”一词中的每一个字母和单词联系起来,并描绘出母亲的典型特
征,既寓意深刻又耐人寻味。正是平凡的母亲用青春、泪水、心血和关爱给了我们鲜活的生命、丰富的生活和广阔的世界,才使得我们在忙碌之余、在匆匆之中,时
时被心中对母亲的牵挂、惦念和感恩温暖着、鼓舞着。
生活是杯苦咖啡
一群毕业生,各自的事业都已有所建树,相约一起去看望他们的大学教授。谈话一会儿就变成了各自对工作生活压力的抱怨。教授去厨房端来一大壶咖啡招待这些客人,拿出各式各样的咖啡杯——陶瓷的、塑料的玻璃的、水晶的,有普通的、有价值不斐的、有做工精致的——让他们自己挑。
When all the students had a cup of coffee in hand, the professor said:
当所有学生手中都拿了咖啡杯之后,教授发话了:
"If you noticed, all the nice looking expensive cups were taken up, leaving behind the plain and cheap ones. While it is normal for you to want only the best for yourselves, that is the source of your problems and stress.
“如果你们注意一下,就可以发现所有好看的贵的杯子都给挑走了,剩下的只是那些普通的和便宜的。当然,每个人都想给自己挑到那个最好的,这很正常,但这也正是你们的问题和压力根源之所在。”
"What all of you really wanted was coffee, not the cup, but you consciously went for the best cups and were eyeing each other's cups.
“其实你们真正想要的是咖啡,而不是杯子,但你们却又都下意识去挑选最好的杯子,并观察别人拿到的杯子。”
Now consider this: Life is the coffee and the jobs, money and position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold and contain Life, and do not change the quality of Life. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee God has provided. So, don't let the cups drive you ... enjoy the coffee instead."
04 Feb · Thu 2010
青春的飞逝
_Richard Henry Stoddard/理查德.亨利.斯托达德
There are gains for all our losses. 我们失去的一切都能得到补偿,
There are balms for all our pain; 我们所有的痛苦都能得到安慰;
But when youth,the dream,departs 可是梦境似的青春一旦消逝,
It takes something from our hearts, 它带走了我们心中的某种美好,
And it never comes again. 从此一去不复返。
We are stronger, and are better, 我们变得日益刚强、更臻完美,
Under manhood’s sterner reign; 在严峻的成年生活驱使下;
Still we feel that something sweet 可是依然感到甜美的情感,
Following youth, with flying feet, 已随着青春飞逝,
And will never come again. 不再返回。
Something beautiful is vanished, 美好已经消逝,
And we sigh for it in vain; 我们枉自为此叹息;
We behold it everywhere, 尽管在天地之间,
On the earth, and in the air, 我们处处能见青春的魅力,
But it never comes again! 可是它不再返回!
生活的忠告
I’ll give you some advice about life.
给你生活的忠告
Eat more roughage;
多吃些粗粮;
Do more than others expect you to do and do it pains;
给别人比他们期望的更多,并用心去做;
Remember what life tells you;
熟记生活告诉你的一切;
Don’t take to heart every thing you hear. Don’t spend all that you have. Don’t sleep as long as you want;
不要轻信你听到的每件事,不要花光你的所有,不要想睡多久就睡多久;
Whenever you say” I love you”, please say it honestly;
无论何时说“我爱你”,请真心实意;
Whenever you say” I’m sorry”, please look into the other person’s eyes;
无论何时说“对不起”,请看对方的眼睛;
Fall in love at first sight;
相信一见钟情;
Don’t neglect dreams;
请不要忽视梦想;
Love deeply and ardently, even if there is pain, but this is the way to make your life complete;
深情热烈地爱,也许会受伤,但这是使人生完整的唯一方法;
Find a way to settle, not to dispute;
用一种明确的方法解决争议,不要冒犯;
Never judge people by their appearance;
永远不要以貌取人;
Speak slowly, but think quickly;
慢慢地说,但要迅速地想;
When someone asks you a question you don’t want to answer, smile and say, “Why do you want to know?”
当别人问你不想回答的问题时,笑着说:“你为什么想知道?”
Remember that the man who can shoulder the most risk will gain the deepest love and the supreme accomplishment;
记住:那些敢于承担最大风险的人才能得到最深的爱和最大的成就;
Call you mother on the phone. If you can’t, you may think of her in your heart;
给妈妈打电话,如果不行,至少在心里想着她;
When someone sneezes say, “God bless you”;
当别人打喷嚏时,说一声“上帝保佑”;
If you fail, don’t forget to learn your lesson;
如果你失败了,千万别忘了汲取教训;
Remember the three “ respects” .Respect yourself, respect others, stand on dignity and pay attention to your behavior;
记住三个“尊”: 尊重你自己; 尊重别人; 保持尊严, 对自己的行为负责;
Don’t let a little dispute break up a great friendship;
不要让小小的争端损毁了一场伟大的友谊;
Whenever you find your wrongdoing, be quick with reparation!
无论何时你发现自己做错了,竭尽所能去弥补;动作要快!
Whenever you make a phone call smile when you pick up the phone, because someone can feel it!
无论什么时候打电话,摘起话筒的时候请微笑,因为对方能感觉到!
Marry a person who likes talking; because when you get old, you’ll find that chatting to be a great advantage;
找一个你爱聊的人结婚;因为年纪大了后,你会发觉喜欢聊天是一个人最大的优点;
Find time for yourself.
找点时间,单独呆会儿;
Life will change what you are but not who you are;
欣然接受改变,但不要摒弃你的个人理念;
Remember that silence is golden;
记住:沉默是金;
Read more books and watch less television;
多看点书,少看点电视;
Live a noble and honest life. Reviving past times in your old age will help you to enjoy your life again;
过一种高尚而诚实的生活。当你年老时回想起过去,你就能再一次享受人生。
Trust God, but don’t forget to lock the door;
相信上帝,但是别忘了锁门;
The harmonizing atmosphere of a family is valuable;
家庭的融洽氛围是难能可贵的;
Try your best to let family harmony flow smoothly;
尽你的能力让家平顺和谐;
When you quarrel with a close friend, talk about the main dish, don’t quibble over the appetizers;
当你和你的亲近的少吵嘴时候,试着就事论事,不要扯出那些陈芝麻、烂谷子的事;
You cannot hold onto yesterday;
不要摆脱不了昨天;
Figure out the meaning of someone’s words;
多注意言下之意;
Share your knowledge to continue a timeless tradition;
和别人分享你的知识,那才是永恒之道;
Treat our earth in a friendly way,don’t fool around with mother nature;
善待我们的地球,不要愚弄自然母亲;
Do the thing you should do;
做自己该做的事;
Don’t trust a lover who kisses you without closing their eyes;
不要相信接吻时从不闭眼的伴侣;
Go to a place you’ve never been to every year.
每年至少去一个你从没去过的地方。
If you earn much money,the best way to spend it is on charitable deeds while you are alive;
如果你赚了很多钱,在活着的时候多行善事,这是你能得到的最好回报;
Remember,not all the best harvest is luck;
记住有时候,不是最好的收获也是一种好运;
Understand rules completely and change them reasonably;
深刻理解所有的规则,合理地更新他们;
Remember,the best love is to love others unconditionally rather than make demands on them;
记住,最好的爱存在于对别人的爱胜于对别人的索求这上;
Comment on the success you have attained by looking in the past at the target you wanted to achieve most;
回头看看你发誓取得的目标,然后评价你到底有多成功;
In love and cooking,you must give 100% effort……but expect little appreciation;
无论是烹饪不是爱情,都用百分之百的负责态度对待,但是不要乞求太多的回报。